1.16.2015

The Looting of Papyri & Islamophobia

I do love how my years of work, after all the people in papyrology couldn't have care less as about looting, being dismissed as bombastic. But then again if I were an old man who was just a lecturer at an obscure State college rather than someone who has achieved things ... well I might too have a chip off my shoulder. I do find it odd that so many "scholars" find discussing - or in the case of papyrology ignoring - looting from their (in his case faux) ivory towers ... and go out of their way to disparage people who actually do the work, and get pieces returned.

Whilst I am thrilled that someone else in papyrology, PhD candidate Brice Jones is now enthusiastically anti-looting ... may I just make the point that my comment pointing out that the Galatians on eBay was being illegally offered for sale was not originally moderated and posted amongst his comments. And like others working in this field I am horrified by the way he blogs about identifying papyri on eBay, therefore raising their values and making them more valuable rather than unsaleable.

Roberta Mazza is the only papyrologist I can name that has not only become an enthusiastic crusader against looting but is also doing some good.

Smuggling papyri, which all either passed through or are linked to a dealer who has admitted repeatedly to smuggling is shocking. The way so many US academics turned a blind eye to them, justifying that they were 'saving' Christian texts from "Muslim countries" is pretty shocking. That was bigotry, racism and self-serving - their old boy's club turned a blind eye as they saw themselves as superior to 'barbarian' Muslims and also because of the pressure in the field to come up with new discoveries. They really only started getting interested in the issue when the Sappho Papyri hit the media, and suddenly the topic became 'sexy' ... So yes I might not be an expert in papyrology, but at least I have morals.

15 comments:

  1. I have removed the link you objected to from my blog. If you wanted to make the case that you writing is not bombastic, your subconscious has betrayed you. The ad hominem attack you indulge in against me proves the opposite quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should buy a dictionary as Bombastic means "with little meaning" and if you'd been following the debate rather debate rather than jumping on the bandwagon you'd know that I have repeatedly proven those papyri were illegally smuggled from countries that require export licenses.

    So yes, on top of all the attacks on my religion and my looks and my morals, men like you who dismiss the work of those of us actually doing real work is ... kinda lame. You're not their peer, you're not even in the ballpark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comments here illustrate that, despite your background and education, you are nothing more than a glamed-up, pretentious, and ill- mannered child. Instead of keeping on point, you feel it necessary to attack someone's vocation and background to solidify your argument. In academics, it's not only what you know, but who you know. Anyone seeing this blog will see the true nature of your character. And before you run my credentials to argue the validity of MY comments, let me assure you, I'm "lame". I'm no one, especially considering your definition. However, I know how to treat my fellow man, which is apparently a lesson you missed in YOUR ivory tower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - Chairs at Oxford don't talk down to me, but people from obscure colleges do ... But gee thanks to all you guys claiming on the net I'm a nymphomaniac slut, because that gave me a good idea of what level your characters were

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! Your need to validate yourself by name dropping is really humorous. And your need for academic snobbery is sadly telling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not name dropping. I am simply making the point that the leading people in the field respect me, so why would I give a damn was some obscure idiots say. And if you're going to claim the Green Scholars and their constant intimidation are real scholars, go find a Barbie to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am deleting all further comments by Shannon Reed as ... who cares, and frankly it is rather sad when women attack the looks of other women.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. About Brice Jones : http://tinyurl.com/p7qzpej !…

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes he put it up once it had become an issue that he had not on Paul Barford's blog ...

    And again I must thank you for all your amazing support

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr King, I didn’t know that scholars can hate each others like that : G. W. Schwendner (supra and there), Shannon Reed… against you.

      Delete
    2. Oh I don't worry about or even read that sort of thing - real people with real chairs at real unis are fine with me ;-) ... and honestly, having been on the receiving end of looters' hatred online and been accused of plagiarism at conferences, my experience is that people only put that sort of effort in when I've hit my target. And "glamed-up" or "glamourous" are code for "Jew" ...

      Delete
    3. So… let us read Shannon Reed’s “compliments” now deleted from this – your – Blog… ;-)

      Seriously ?!… there is a “scholarly slang”, with some coded words for “Jew” ? I have to add them to the Wiktionary !… But I need some sources… « And "glamed-up" or "glamourous" are code for "Jew"… » will not suffice… even written by Dr King !

      Delete

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.