Christie's, eBay, Green and Sappho Papyri ...

I put it on Twitter, but forgot to mention it on the blog ... the provenance the Green Hobby Lobby Museum is giving for the papyri they bought from Turkey on eBay and the provenance for the Sappho papyri is the same lot at Christie's. It all just seems a bit odd that papyri passed through the auction house without someone paying them any attention, so it may sound like a Kosher provenance but I continue to be dubious.

For the Christie's provenance claimed for Green see: Portable Antiquity Collecting and Heritage Issues: Mixantik and his 'Connections' with Christies

For the Christie's provenance claimed for Sappho see Tim Whitmarsh's photo of Obbink's hand out:

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.