Cochin Synagogue, India

Thank you Jesse Katz for allowing me to post this photograph of the interior.Wikipedia has a nice synopsis of its interesting history here.
There's a sort of snobbery or caste system that has evolved amongst Jews and this is very wrong. German Jews are not superior to East European ones, nor are Ashkenazim to Sephardim. Strangely there seems to be a snobbery amongst Sephardim against Mizrahim ... and that is key to why they are not doing more to help preserve the record of Syrian synagogues. It is as ridiculous as it sounds, and we are all Jews, and we are all equally important in terms of Jewish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.