Bonfils: Jewish Damascus

FĂ©lix Bonfils was a French photographer who in Beirut and the Constantinople, and took some of the best photographs of the Near East in the 19th century. Whilst many photographers took photographs of monuments and portraits, his high technical skill and great eye set him apart.

Unfortunately I don't have any of his photographs of Damascus, but these ones of a Jewish house in the city come from the Library of Congress (1&2) and the British Library (3 to 5).*

* - I'm always happy to lend to exhibitions anonymously when I can, but only have Constantinople, Egypt and Jerusalem by him and Beato.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.