Le Fluff et Le Puff … Le Kilt

I’ve discussed the ‘first’ tartans before here: Ancient fabrics, press folds, checks and not tartans ... As with so many things, the Chinese claim to have invented it first, and the Germans have a good claim, but this is the Falkirk Tartan Textile Fragment which is a proto-tartan that dates to the 3rd century AD and is 100% Scottish.

Tartan 2

Today Scotland votes and the people will decide whether or not to stay in the Union. I have no strong feelings either way, and no vote so my views wouldn’t matter anyway. I’ll continue to visit Scotland, and my long love affair with cashmere and the kilt will continue. Tartan and kilts have been associated with Scottish nationalism for so long that the English at one point introduced the Dress Act 1746 to ban it.

I’ve been trying to find a kilt for a year or more, and my main issue has been that they’ve all seemed far too frumpy; or worse too tacky “sexy schoolgirl” (and made of 100% polyester – eek).
Then I found this little gem made by Le Kilt, and similar to the Black Watch kilt I wore all through uni way back in the last century.


Post university and into this century, I moved on to an Alexander McQueen version (which I styled a little more plainly than Mrs Beckham). It was lady-like but with a fun ‘kick’ of pleats to one side almost like a small train.


Now it’s described as the “Iconic & rare Alexander McQueen tartan skirt. High boned waist item fully silk lined, zips off center back.” and for sale at 1stDibs … No, I don’t still have mine, which is fine as I’m not the size I was then (I’ve embraced putting on a few pounds as I age, and refuse to starve myself or take drugs to achieve the slenderness of youth).

But I am tempted by Le Kilt’s offering in a similar tartan – I think it’s Clan Wallace rather than Clan McQueen, but age might also be affecting my eyesight …


Of course I’d wear it with matt opaque tights, loafers, and a black cashmere jumper – my default styling of most outfits.

Le Kilt is available in London at Dover Street Market.
Samantha McCoach founded Le Kilt in 2014 with a vision of adding a dash of modernity to her family’s kilt-making heritage.
Samantha's grandmother has been a traditional kilt maker in Scotland for over 40 years and through Samantha's teenage years she would observe her grandmother expertly tailoring Kilts, trousers and other traditional staples from fine Scottish tartan.  Samantha has continued the tradition and re-appropriated the style into her modern wardrobe.
This love of tartan inspired the creation of Samantha’s brand Le Kilt.  The name being both a playful homage to the legendary Soho club of the 80’s and a wink towards the untapped, chic potential of the kilt.
Central to the Le Kilt philosophy is a preservation of traditional techniques, underscored with modernity.  Le Kilt plans to complement its ‘kiltie’ core with key garments and accessories in the coming season, all with nod and a wink to Samantha's, wistfully nostalgic Scots background.