9.21.2014

ISIS Seize Dura-Europos

The account is confused, and presumably they have seized the whole site not just the early synagogue - including the Palmyran and Roman ruins and one of the earliest preserved Christian House Churches.

One of Oldest Known Synagogues Seized by ISIS - Middle East - News - Arutz Sheva:
The fate of the synagogue, which was discovered in 1932 and dated by an Aramaic inscription to 244 CE, remains unknown.
Other casualties of the brutal Islamic group in the Mosul area were the tombs of the Jewish Biblical prophets Jonah and Daniel in July; Jonah's tomb reportedly dated from the 8th century BCE.


As far as I am aware the frescoes are in Damascus Museum? And most of Damascus Museum's collections were packed up and put into storage the summer before last.

I can't find any info in either Arabic or English on the Ministry of Culture's web site, although Palmyra continues to be looted (see most recently).


Update - and I appreciated this reminder:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.