Books: Michael Scott's Delphi

In case you guys are getting bored of Amphipolis and Augustus, I can highly recommend Michael Scott's Delphi, which I will get around to writing more about soon.

Meanwhile, don't forget that the poor serpent column ended up in the Hippodrome at Constantinople, and was chopped up there too and ... For photos of it and Ottoman images when it was still more or less 'whole' see: The Hippodrome in Constantinople.

Delphi: A History of the Center of the Ancient World - Amazon UK
Delphi: A History of the Center of the Ancient World - Amazon US

1 comment:

  1. the serpents column for me is the most famous war memorial in the world,made from the melted down weapons of the persians and inscribed with the names of the greek city states who fought for their freedom from slavery and their very lives.its a shame that the column has ended up in the hands of the turkish authorities its like nelsons column being moved to germany or france.last time i visited it,the base of the column was full of litter,tin cans ,empty bottles,the serpents column, more than anything else should be in a greek museum.


I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.