9.29.2014

Books: Helen Castor on Joan of Arc

Helen Castor's Joan of Arc comes out on Kindle tomorrow: Kindle UK and Kindle US. For the hardcover we have to wait until the 2nd in the UK Joan of Arc and May in the US Joan of Arc: A History.

This is my warning that I might disappear for a while ... although actually I've been ordered not to buy any books for a while so that my Christmakkah 2014 Wish List is accurate, and we'll have to see if I can stick to that one ...

Whilst I can't say "you must read this" until I have, her last book was one of my favourites of last year and I can't recommend it enough.



She-Wolves is the utterly engrossing story of the Medieval women who ruled England:
The Empress Matilda: Lady of England 1102-1167
Eleanor of Aquitaine: An Incomparable Woman 1124-1204
Isabella of France: Iron Lady 1295-1358
Margaret of Anjou: A Great and Strong Laboured Woman 1430-1482


Helen Castor is one of the few historians who writes well but in an accessible way without dumbing down. 

She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth - Kindle UK
She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth - Amazon US

She presented a series for the BBC based on the book, which I wish every parent would play for their daughters to teach them that sometimes women have to fight for what they want, but that there are role models out there.

It is available on DVD or Amazon Video on Amazon US. It the UK it has been repeated at least once, and is sometimes freely available on iPlayer, or on DVD She-Wolves: England's Early Queens [DVD], but it is much cheaper on iTunes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.