Sarah Bond: Making a Roman Ancestor Mask

I am teaching a class on death and burial ritual in antiquity, and tomorrow we are making Roman imagines. Elite Romans usually kept these masks in a little cupboard in the atrium of their houses to be brought out for funeral processions. These ancestor masks were usually made out of wax, but since I don't want to run the insurance risk or the risk of hurting a student, I am opting for plaster. My husband was a good sport for the video, and in the end, we had a nice finished product! It is a great activity for students or just for kids on a rainy day. The Egyptian mummy masks I referred to in the end are painted, so one could also go that route.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.