5.01.2013

Class and Preservation

I have no idea whether or not the pub should be saved, but I really hope these comments were taken very much out of context, as the Geffryre Museum is in an area that has always been for immigrants and the working classes

George Barker & The Marquis of Lansdowne | Spitalfields Life:
At the recent public meeting to discuss the Geffrye Museum‘s development plans financed by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Museum Director David Dewing told the audience that he had “no interest in the culture of the Labouring Classes,” justifying the demolition of The Marquis of Lansdowne, which stood upon the corner of Geffrye St since 1839, as a building of “no historic significance.”

Incidentally, Spitalfields Life is a fascinating blog for those interested in the history of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.