5.02.2013

A possibly apocryphal story ...

Mrs. Clare Booth-Luce, the wife of Henry Luce, the founder of TIME magazine, was a well-respected and highly informed writer and journalist.

In the late `60's  at  a gathering of academics and politicians, to honor a prominent Jewish leader, Mrs. Luce was heard to say to the guest of honor:
            "I really feel that the Jews should stop commemorating the Holocaust. Why don't you get on with life, put all those experiences, however painful they may be, behind you and concentrate on the future."
          
Nachum Goldman stood silent for a moment, then, with a noticeably  warm smile on his face he answered:
         "Mrs. Luce, these are exactly my sentiments when I hear people talk about the Crucifixion!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.