8.18.2011

Ancient Roman Jar Riddled with Mystery

My opinion? It's not unique, and I have similar old French vessels at home ... which were used for soft cheese, separating the curd and the whey ...

http://www.livescience.com/15629-ancient-roman-artifact-mystery.html

Updated - well, I clearly had food on my mind, just the wrong kind of food ... via David Meadows' explanation / update it's clear that it was for catching fish as seen in this Tunisian mosaic in Sousse:



David seems to believe it was for catching octopus, but in other mosaics they were speared ... so many squid or small fish?

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it a bit high for the curds and whey? Mine from peasant France are flat-topped bowls....

    ReplyDelete

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.