Viking warriors were joined by their wives when they invaded Britain

A little after the period I'm covering, but nice archaeological evidence of women and war. German women accompanied the hoards that descended through Gaul, and there are accounts of them when they were defeated by Marius. Also a woman with armour was found in the tomb at Vergina possibly of Philip II of Macedon.


  1. Well, of course they accompanied the hoards... with all the pretty stuff. But, was that as the hordes invaded?

  2. Good point! The German women did - as it was an act of mass migration more than an organised invasion plan. Who knows about the Vikings ...


I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.