On the ostentation of Roman villas ...

We tend to associate lavish Roman homes with Pompeii or the kitsch Imperial palaces, so this post about Scipio Africanus' villa struck me as particularly interesting.

Roman Times: On Scipio's Villa

Scipio was the general Gaius Marius fought under at Numantia. Marius was himself later criticised for his lavish homes. But even if his homes were more lavish than Scipio's then ... they were nothing compared to those of the later Romans.

It's a good reminder that we should judge sources in the context of their day not a later period - 'Rome' spanned almost a thousand years after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.