7.22.2011

Copied Academic Papers Appear on Pirate Bay to Protest Arrest - Technology - The Atlantic Wire

Copied Academic Papers Appear on Pirate Bay to Protest Arrest - Technology - The Atlantic Wire

I'm not sure where to find the info, but I thought that there was a change made by the Bush administration which meant that all research which had received money from the federal government had to be publicly available free of charge ... But then again I can be a bit of a policy wonk, and maybe I dreamt that ;-)

2 comments:

  1. What is amazing is that these documents were written prior 1923, are in the public domain, yet they are still being held hostage. Absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume the issue is that JSTOR scanned them and are claiming the PDFs as their work. Journals have no problems with articles being copied and posted when they are old and in public domain. Ditto living authors who keep copyright and post article on their own web site are not an issue (often you can get articles that way).

    I'm talking about a different issue - in theory all recent work that has benefited from one cent of US government money even if indirectly is in theory in the public domain ... And that means 99 % of US scholars and Journals ...

    ReplyDelete

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.