"Allianoi does not exist"

This has to be one of the strangest stories - the Turkish Environment Minister is claiming Allianoi did not exist ... I know there is at least one ancient source mentioning the town in the Roman period, and if you look back at my old posts and the article I wrote about it in Minerva, there is a heck of a lot of archaeological remains there.

The only comparison I can think of is Marathon. For years the Greeks said it was in one spot; then they decided to build an Olympic rowing lake there, and announced that it was no longer the site of the Battle of Marathon, and that the battle had taken place elsewhere.

There is one difference - Marathon had only a few archaeological remains at the site, Allianoi is a huge site with an enormous amount of well preserved ruins, many of which still have roofs.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a "Big Brother" case of, "If I say it doesn't exist, then it doesn't!" Crazy.


I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.