Combat Trauma and the Classics

Dr. Jonathan Shay on Combat Trauma - New York Times

Also known as PTSD (I've been meaning to blog about ancient PTSD for a while), and in WWI called 'shell shock'. As part of therapy they are reading Greek and Roman epics by Homer and Virgil - all of which have to do with war ...


  1. Thanks for the link... as an exmilitary psychiatrist anything that helps modern folk to realise the reality of PTSD is good...

  2. I finally got around to blogging some Greek and Roman examples of PTSD - http://phdiva.blogspot.com/2010/11/rage-of-achilles-and-ptsd-in-antiquity.html


I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.