A Chinese Slave in Imperial Italy?

This sounds like a fascinating discovery at Vagnari - the DNA of a skeleton was tested, and turned out to have mitochondrial DNA from haplogroup D, which indicates an origin on the mother's side in East Asia. We can't tell if that's one or a dozen generations back, nor can we tell his father's origins ... so it's partly speculative, but still fascinating. The finds look poor to me, and from the context I'm guessing slave.

Ambassador or slave? East Asian skeleton discovered in Vagnari Roman Cemetery
- The Independent (via RogueClassicism); photo from the article, courtesy Professor Tracy Prowse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.