The Harwood Arms, London

I tend to have an aversion to the concept of 'gastro-pubs' ... But when my favorite foodie, Steve Plotnicki, invited me to one ... I discovered some of the best food in London.

Steve chose The Harwood Arms in Fulham.

The menu was a fusion of well thought out British food made with good quality farm-sourced ingredients and a dash of the foreign for exotica. It's something I've seen a lot of chefs try - but fail - to do. This chef, Stephen Williams, trained at The Ledbury, makes it work. I'd feel comfortable recommending this restaurant to the fussiest foodie.

He also chose the food, and I can't remember all of it, but here's a selection of snaps of some of the highlights. The venison Scotch Egg was the only edible one I have ever had (it's a strange English dish normally with a rubbery boiled egg wrapped in anonymous meat and then deep fried), and the game broth was amazing.

The welks made me wonder why we'd been avoiding them for so many years, and if only they had koftas this good in Turkey.

The roe deer cooked in straw was perfect - easy to cut, and melted in the mouth. I wasn't mad about the duck, and by time we came to the Mexican deserts we could barely eat. Somehow - purely for the sake of research, of course - we managed to persevere ...

You can take part in Steve Plotnicki's restaurant survey, Opinionated About Dining, here - his concept is that people's vote are calibrated depending on what kind of restaurants they eat at, and how many they dine at, and the system works.

The Harwood Arms
27 Walham Grove
London SW6 01QR
Tel. 020 7386 1847

Update - Steve on the meal can be found here (with a better description of the food).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.