Today In The Post ...

.... I received a copy of Adrian Goldsworthy's The Fall of the West. The book will be published on the 26th of February, and I will be blogging as I read it.

Dr. Goldsworthy is a wonderful historian, and as I disclaimer I should add that I will almost certainly love the book - not just because we are friends, but because I think he writes and researches wonderfully well.

His In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire (Phoenix Press) is the book that ignited my interest in Marius though, alas, Marius does not feature in this book.

The general who is covered by a chapter in Goldsworthy's book is Zenobia (also the subject of a just-published short biography by Pat Southern: Empress Zenobia: Palmyra's Rebel Queen). Zenobia is interesting as she is part of a long tradition of warrior queens in the region - after Boudicca and Joan of Arc, she tends to be the third woman who bore arms that people tend to name.

The book is weighty, and lavishly illustrated - I was thrilled to see the fresco of the soldiers from Dura Europas - with plenty of maps to clarify everything.

The Fall Of The West: The Death Of The Roman Superpower: The Long, Slow Death of the Roman Superpower by Adrian Goldsworthy - Amazon.co.uk

How Rome Fell: Death of a Superpower by Adrian Goldsworthy - Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.