12.11.2008

The Whore of Babylon at the British Museum

I spent the afternoon at the British Museum.

First I met a very nice Greek journalism student to discuss the Elgin Marbles, and fully agreed that the Parthenon sculptures would look better all together. I even offered to fundraise to pay for shipping them over from Athens.

Then I met a Very Eminent Historian friend to see the Babylon exhibition. I'd already seen it in Paris in April, where it had more archaeology and less 20th century 'interpretation of' stuff. It has lots of later depictions of the Tower of Babel, not much archaeology - though what it does have is interesting.

Neil MacGregor used to be very keen on Christianity at the National Gallery when Tony Blair was Prime Minister, but these days seems to be more enthusiastic about Africa at the BM. And promoting homosexuality, as in the Hadrian show earlier this year, which confused a few of us.

MacGregor seems to have forgotten that most Christians when they hear "Babylon" think "Whore of" ... and there are only two teeny tiny engravings representing her.

Whilst it's very easy to criticise, I understand that the Christian thing to do is lend a helping hand. So whilst waiting for the Very Eminent Historian I quickly knocked up a sign, which I then sellotaped to the wall in the exhibition ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.