12.29.2008

Top Tips for Roman Recipes

Dormice are an endangered species in the UK. So if you are planning to serve Apicius' recipe [De Re Coquinaria, VII.396]:

Stuffed Dormouse
Glires

Is stuffed with a forcemeat of pork and small pieces of dormouse meat trimmings, all pounded with pepper, nuts, laser, broth. Put the dormouse thus stuffed in an earthen casserole, roast it in the oven, or boil it in the stock pot.

you will need a substitute. My top tip is: when buying hamsters or gerbils from Harrods' pet department, don't tell them about the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.