Myra Theatre: the Weapons Frieze

Classical and Hellenistic Lycia was a highly martial society so it's not surprising that the area yields a large number of carvings of armour and weapons friezes. These can be hard to date, as the weapons and shields depicted are sometimes ones that are no longer in use, something that is best seen in Macedonia - and the execution is often crude. If you want more information, there's a whole chapter in my PhD. This frieze probably pre-dates the theatre, but was incorporated into the structure at some point in its later history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.