Recipes: Cranberry Sauce

I've had a few complaints about lack of food posts - from people I know in 'real' life - so thought I might as well post my cranberry sauce recipe.
I made some today for Thanksgiving, and it freezes well if you can't be bothered to sterilise jars - freezing also means that you don't have to use as much sugar.

Obviously is depends how much people eat, but this makes a pint of sauce which I would serve for six people.

Start with 3 cups of cranberries (about 300 g); rinse under water, but don't shake off all the excess water.
Put in a sauce pan with 1/3 of a cup of orange juice.
Add 1 1/2 cups sugar (I use unbleached white sugar), or 2 cups if you prefer it sweeter.

For spices, I add 1/2 coffee spoon of ground cloves, 1 coffee spoon ground cinnamon and a scant pinch of ground chili pepper.
I also add grated dried lemon rind (the yellow bit, not the white), but since this is a bit of an obscure thing to have in the kitchen, you can replace it with 1 table spoon of lemon juice.

Put on the gas ring (or electric), with the gas turned quite low, and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes - or until the cranberries are starting to dissolve. To make the sauce smoother you can cook for a further ten minutes, or just run it through the blender.

And here's the finished product - either serve straight away, or pop into into Tupperware and freeze it until you need it.

Copyright © 2008 Dorothy King

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.