10.26.2008

Marcus Nonius Macrinus - the Inscription

Having wrestled with these two* photos of the Marcus Nonius Macrinus inscription found recently by his tomb for whole minutes.
Then having spent a lot longer chatting on the phone to Adrian Murdoch - possibly ten minutes - about his post on the inscription (here - and yes, he did take me up on the offer of corrections! and a credit would be nice, hint hint) .... I am proud to be able to come up with what I feel is the definitive PhDiva version of the tomb inscription of the man that was a great general even though he wasn't the real-life Gladiator ....

[M. NONI]O M. FIL FAB... ....RINO
COMITI LEG IMP ANTONINI AVG EX
[C]ITERIORIS ITEM PANNONIAE SUP
[P]ROVINCIAE ASIAE QVAESTO[R]
...TRI OPTIMO ET FLAVI...
M. NONIV[S]
























* - the first photo is a detail of the third photo, so there are only two images - I may have the 'flu, but I can still count, so please don't email to point that out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.