9.18.2008

The Gold Glass Table in New York

The Byzantine opus sectile 'Gold Glass Table' which was excavated in a large private mansion or palace in Caesarea is being loaned by Israel to the Metropolitan Museum in New York.
It has already been on show in San Francisco this year, and I love the way that Israel is so generous with loans of important archaeological material.


The panel measures a little more than a meter, and dates to the end of the 6th or the start of the 7th century - more information here.

Two Antiques Exhibitions,, New York City, Beginning 21 September 2008 - The Israel Antiquities Authority
(Found via PaleoJudaica)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.