9.16.2008

An Archaeological Christmas ...

Obviously the 'first' Christmas was in ... well the consensus these days is 6 BC (because Herod the Great died in 4 BC) - in any case it was during the Roman period. Christmas decorations and stories seem to start earlier and earlier each year, so I thought I'd get a jump start with these amazing decorations from Bronner's that I found via Jezebel. They are made in Poland, and also available via this eBay seller.

The links to Jesus and Christmas are sometimes highly tenuous, but I have done my best to find some ...

Since I've written about the Elgin Marbles, I have to feature this model of the Parthenon first. The sculptures are not fully rendered, but I'm sure that if the British Museum were to offer them as a Christmas present to Greece .... Oh and the Parthenon became a church in the Byzantine period, so that's the Christian link.


Nefertiti, the most beautiful woman in the world - the original is currently in Berlin, but Dr. Hawas and Egypt would like this back ... - and the Jesus link would be that her husband Akhenaten was the first to try to introduce monotheism (probably before Judaism was monotheistic).

I think this is meant to be Tutankhamun - and I can't think of any Christian link, though there is a Biblical one if you think that Moses was in Egypt ...


The Sphinx ... possibly Joseph might have seen it when he was vizier?

There's been a big Tut show touring the States recently, so maybe ... lots of Christians visited it?

I suspect that this mummy might double in the Halloween category ...
I'm not sure if this is meant to honor the Second Temple of Jesus' day - or if the makers think that Jews celebrate Christmas? Or are we celebrating the boy Jesus debating in the Temple (Luke 2:39-52)? Or throwing out the money changers?

I know, you're thinking "dreidel? isn't that Hanukkah?" ... but if you think about it, dreidels are ancient toys - Jesus might have played with one as a child! - and Hanukkah celebrates the re-dedication of the Second Temple following the Maccabean Revolt, which was fought against the Seleucids, so was a Hellenistic event. And Jesus visited the Second Temple (see above) ...

And the construction of the Colosseum was funded by the Temple Treasure captured by Titus (more details here), so I guess that's a good link to Jesus (see above)?


If classical is not your thing, then they also have Mayan, Americana (the Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore, the Alamo), vegetables (seriously), and pretty much anything else you can think of - Buddha, African peasant girls, skulls ...

1 comment:

  1. I like the mummy decoration most but they are all really good as they are different from the norm.

    ReplyDelete

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.