8.02.2008

Lions as Military Monuments

The 2nd August 338 BC marks the date on which Philip II pretty much put an end to the independence of the city states, and created a Macedonian empire, with his victory at the Battle of Chaeronea. Diodorus Siculus, Library, has a description of the battle.


Google Earth has a photo of the site -

View Larger Map
Personally, I don't find it all that useful.

What is more interesting is that Philip erected a lion monument to commemorate his victory - the cenotaph is still extant, and I wrote about it in my thesis - which can be seen from above.


View Larger Map

There is a similar monument in Macedonia at Amphipolis - because the town was an important naval base, and it seems to be the tomb of someone very important, some believe it to be the grave marker of an admiral.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.