7.09.2008

Augustus' Temple in Naples

Archaeology Magazine has a feature on The Augustan Games of Naples which includes a photo of a recently found list of winners of these Sebasta (founded in AD 2). Nero apparently liked to perform at the plays associated with these games. The inscriptions come from the pre-Metro excavations in the Piazza Nicolo Amore conducted by Beatrice Roncella, which have also yielded a temple of Divus Augustus. I've included these two photos, which I had not seen before.

















Most of the article focuses on the new information we have on these long forgotten Games, thanks to the discovery of so many inscriptions. We now know, for example, that women competed alongside men in the Sebasta.

For further information about the excavations, readers are referred to last issue's Naples Underground (abstract only online).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.