The Fall of the Ottomans

I've been reading quite a bit about modern Turkey recently, given the changes that are taking place there, with the rise of an Islamic party and attempts at de-secularisation of the state. Those of us who have spent time there cannot have failed to note the changes, and I am torn between respecting peoples' rights to exercise their religion ... and thinking it's a pity the legacy of Atatürk is fading so fast.

By far the best book I have come across is David Fromkin's A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East which cover the the period with both admirable clarity yet great insight. For Byzantinists used "The Fall" being the fall of the Byzantine Empire, Prof. Fromkin's tome is the equivalent of Steven Runciman's The Fall of Constantinople 1453 (Canto) and just as much a classic work when it comes to modern history and foreign affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.