6.23.2008

Cyrus Cylinder: BM 'Returning' it to Iran?

A couple of Iranian sources are claiming that the British Museum is returning the Cyrus Cylinder to Iran.

Given that we've just imposed sanctions on Iran, and given the current climate ... I'm rather surprised by this claim. Skeptical. Assuming that there will be a firm denial by the British Museum, because ... well, they can't actually do this under British law.

'Cyrus Cylinder' Returning To Iran - Radio Javan
Cyrus Cylinder to be returned to Iran - Mathaba

Update - as Chuck Jones reminded me, the cylinder may never even have ever been in Iran. It was found in Babylon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.