Byzantine Iconoclasm

Troels Myrup's Iconoclasm is one of my favorite blogs, partly as I have always found the topic so fascinating.

As well as Jewish Old Testament iconoclasm - the Commandment against Graven Images or Idols - we had Byzantine Christian iconoclasm, which some scholars in turn believe may have influenced Islamic iconoclasm (there were plenty of Muslim images in the early years of Islam) ... and that's just people destroying their 'own' religious images. There is another type of iconoclasm where a new religion comes to the fore, and destroys the images of its predecessors ....

This painting shows Saint Lazarus Zographos, a monk painter who lived through the second Iconoclast period and fought against it.

The Iconoclasts
Domenico Morelli
Capodimonte, Naples

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.