Roman Sculpture in the Uffizi

A few snap shots of some of the Roman sculpture in the Uffizi in Florence - most of them are in roped off rooms, or ignored in passage ways by tourists heading straight for the Leonardos ... alas.

I missed last week's 'discovery' of Julius Caesar's head ... which of course was not his head, as Mary Beard pointed out. But to make up for it, here's a statue of his adopted son, created soon after Augustus defeated Anthony and Cleopatra at Actium. Technically he was probably still Octavian at the time, or more correctly: Gaius Julius Caesar. Octavianus.

A Neo Attic relief depicting a scene from the balustrade of the Nike Temple in Athens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.