Painted Siphnian Treasury Frieze

I wrote my thesis on architectural sculpture, so know that friezes - other than the Parthenon one - tend to be the poor relations of Greek sculpture. Often they are highly weathered, and by the Hellenistic period there was a realisation that they were not all that visible from the ground, so they tend to be rather monotonous and simple in design. Now lost coloring would have made them easier to understand, and on the Siphnian Treasury at Delphi the designer even added labels to clarify exactly who was who in the design ...

I added a detail of the throne since it has a Caryatid like figure supporting the arm rest; a similar figure can be seen on the Persae Vase in Naples.

The bottom photo shows traces of paint on the original sculptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.