Painted Pediments from Aegina

The painted ancient sculpture exhibition, having finished its European Tour (Munich, Vatican, Athens), seems to be making its way around the States (Harvard, the Getty). So this seemed like a good opportunity to share some of the photos I took in Athens last February.

Prof Vinzenz Brinkmann presented his evidence at a great conference on Greek Architectural Sculpture at the ASCSA in November 2004. My one quibble was the colors - he said that they were all ancient colors, and I agreed but ... said that I thought the colors would have been less clashing / more complimentary hues.
To get over the language barrier, and illustrate the point in textile, I managed to dig some Missoni out of my suitcase for the conference dinner ... but alas Prof. Brinkmann could not join us that evening.

His orginal work was on the Aegina Pediments in Munich, and these are shown in the photos below - as always, click on the images to super size them.

I've included a close-up detail of a non-colored cast of a head to show the evidence for painting - some can only be seen under UV light, but some is very visible to the naked eye because one pigment prevented weathering better than its neighbour and so preserved the pattern.

Correcting a Colorblind View of the Treasures of Antiquity - Washington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.