Mao at the Museum

I'm not the first person to question the British Museum's exhibition on Mao. I have a few moral objections when it comes to glorifying a mass murderer (particularly given how many Chinese cousins I have). The point was better made by A.A. Gill in Vanity Fair, where he wrote an article about trying to sell a portrait of Stalin at Christie's. Oh, and wasn't Mao that chap who did that Cultural Revolution thing, where all the art and stuff was destroyed? Seems funny to be celebrating him in a museum.

Anyway, the good news is that this is not the first in a series on Mass Murderers and Art, so we won't be seeing "Hitler: The Early Watercolors" or "Hitler: Saving Art From the Jews" anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.