5.05.2008

Fishy Things in Antibes









Detail and full view of a garum flask of Pompeiian type VI (hmmm ... suspect that this might be a slightly clumsy translation on my part), in the Archaeological Museum of Istres. The inscription reads:
G(ari) F(los) SCOMBR(i)
SCAVRI
MAR
L. MARI PONICI
Basically, it says it it is garum made in Pompeii by Aulus Umbricius Scaurus. L. Marius Ponicus was the merchant who shipped it.

Neck of an amphora of type Beltran IIB (ie. southern Spain, ca. 15 - 150 AD). Again Istres Museum. The inscription reads:
MVR(iae)
FLOS
EXCEL(lens)



Neck of a Gallic amphora of type Lyon 3, now in Vindonissa Museum, Brugg, Switzerland. The inscription reads ...
Horizontally: (l)I(quamen) / ANT(ipolitanum)
Vertically: M.V.P. VIII
So, it's liquamen from Antipolis (Antibes). There are two other pieces that attest to liquamen.

Last summer the little archaeological museum in Antibes had an exhibition about Garum and other fish sauces. Antibes in Antiquity was famed for its own version - liquamen. The local archaeologists try to reproduce various ancient recipes, and to compare them to a local fish sauce still produced in Antibes today (pissalat).

Alas, photos were not allowed in the exhibition - whoops, I seem to have a mental block when it comes to those little stickers with a line through a camera ... - but obviously I didn't realise this 'till after I'd photographed some of the exhibits. [As always, feel free to click on the image to super-size it and use it for teaching.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.