The Islamic World in Paris

I saw the Phoenicians exhibition in Paris. And snapped this photo show before I realised that photos were banned.

It's an interesting little terracotta naiskos which influenced rock cut tombs in SW Turkey and is related to my research on Caryatids (yes, it is out of focus ...). Most of the objects in the show came from the Louvre and the BM. Quite a few were no longer on display, replaced in the cases by signs saying that they had gone to the Homer exhibition.

The exhibition was held in the Institut de Monde Arabe, which is in itself a fabulous work of architecture, and worth seeing for its own sake - it won the Aga Khan prize for architecture.

I particularly like the way the window 'shades' are designed, to open ...

... and close, depending on the amount of sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.