Istanbul 2007

I wanted to blend in, but rather than choosing to wear a long black burkha, I chose to dress like Iznik tiles ....

In the early 19th century most Athenians couldn't have cared less about Elgin taking the Parthenon sculptures off the Acropolis - but they were thrilled when he gave the city its first clock tower.
Clocks were important diplomatic gifts - Matteo Ricci in China, Lord Elgin giving some to Selim III. Sultan Moulay-Ismael of Morocco asked Louis XIV for a wife of the French Royal line; Louis declined, but sent watches and clocks instead.
I photographed this clock to illustrate a lecture I'm giving on the Ottomans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.