4.14.2007

Afghanistan: Begram Glass

After the gold comes some of the glass from Begram that was in the Guimet's Afghanistan Rediscovered exhibition. I have details of the first piece, but for some reason they are refusing to load - I'll try again later. Another piece of glass illustrates the Pharos of Alexandria, but it was too fragile to ship to the exhibition. I have not heard yet where it's going next, but I understand that the plan is for the show to tour.

























Large goblet pained with scenes of hunting and fishing
Begram, area II, room 13
1st century
Clear glass
Ht. 24,.8 cm ; Ø 11.7 cm
Musée National d’Afghanistan – MK 04.1.39

Painted Goblet
Begram, area II, room 10
1st century
Clear glass
Ht. 12.6 cm ; Ø 8.0 cm
Musée National d’Afghanistan – MK 04.1.43

All photos © Thierry Ollivier / musée Guimet

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.