3.31.2007

Afghanistan: Ivories

I know you all like the gold, but I thought I'd take a break from it to show some of the other objects that were on show in the Afghanistan Rediscovered exhibition at the Guimet. These lovely ivories come from Begram - see my review of the exhibition.

Large plaque with engraved decoration, with a girl playing a flute and a woman at the foot of a tree.
Begram, area II, room 13, ensemble 34 (34, e, 5)
1st century.
Ivory
34.6 x 15.4 cm
Musée National d’Afghanistan – MK 04.1.21

«River Deity», standing on a makara
Begram, area II, room 10
1st century
Ivory
45.6 cm
Musée National d’Afghanistan – MK 04.1.15

Plaque carved with a woman and child and a pair of women. The former stand in a gateway very similar to ones used on monumental stuppas.
Begram, area II, room 13, ensemble 34 (34, e. 6)
1st century.
Ivory
13.8 x 24.7 cm
Musée National d’Afghanistan – MK 04.1.48

All photographs © Thierry Ollivier / musée Guimet

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.