The Ottomans at Vienna

An image of The siege of Vienna (1529 - it should not be confused with the 1683 Battle of Vienna, also known as The Last Crusade). Until the battle it looked as if nothing could stop Suleiman the Magnificent's sweep through Europe, and we sometimes forget how close we can to becoming part of the Ottoman Empire.

From the Huner-nama ('Book of Exploits'), made in Istanbul in 1588. Topkapi.

English schools never used to put much emphasis on eduction for girls (nor were many of my friends encouraged to go to university). I left one only having learnt how to get out of a car without showing my knickers and how to make a Molotov cocktail. This siege may have seen the first use of the Molotov cocktail in battle, though the name came later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but I remove spam, overt self-promotion ("read [link] my much better post on this") and what I consider hate speech (racism, homophobia etc).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.